Q: Why is synthetic turf so popular?
A: Mainly because it is so versatile. You'll find artificial turf used in:
- SPORT for soccer pitches, golf courses, putting greens and tennis courts;
- LEISURE for back lawns, roof terraces, patios and swimming pool surrounds;
- ARTS for stage and film use
- BUSINESS for displays, exhibition stands, contemporary office carpeting
Q: When used outside how does it compare to natural turf?
A:In poor weather conditions (too wet or too hot), it fairs much better. Under a hot sun there's no noticeable colour fading with synthetic turf as it is UV stabilized and because it's permeable, rain can drain through so no muddy areas develop.
Q: Is there a special yarn used in the manufacture of synthetic turf?
A: Yes, there are 2 yarns used: PP (polypropylene) which is hardwearing and suited to general use and PE (polyethylene) which has strong, waxy fibres and provides a 'Low Sliding Resistance' ideal for surface contact sports such as soccer and rugby.
Q: There are so many different types of synthetic turf - how do I know the right one to choose?
A: The needs of any one project can vary greatly so it's a matter of highlighting the key points regarding the application of the turf.
- the specific use - sports, garden, landscaping, display, etc
- the degree of 'wear and tear' expected to take place
- if it's for a sports surface, how skilled are the players
- who will be using it?
We assist people and companies on a whole range of projects and are happy to help with queries to help you make the correct decision.
Q: How long does synthetic turf last before it has to be replaced?
A: This depends upon the application of course and how much use the synthetic turf has to withstand. Our turf products carry a 5 year guarantee but with proper care and maintenance artificial turf surfaces have been known to last for up to ten years.
Q: What about maintenance?
A: There's very little to do to maintain a synthetic turf surface – the main thing is regular brushing to keep dirt and leaves off. Whether it's a sports pitch or a back garden that's involved, the costs involved are minimal compared to the maintenance required to natural turf surfaces.
Q: What about installation?
A: This depends upon the application. For example:
- For sports applications such as soccer pitches, 5-a-side pitches, hockey pitches, tennis courts, cricket wickets, golf putting greens, etc, a professional installation is required. SIS is unique amongst UK suppliers of synthetic turf as we can offer a complete package from manufacturing the carpet through to full installation and follow-on maintenance.
- For gardens and leisure use, installation is relatively easy and quick and can be done by the purchaser. For more complex landscaping applications there are specialist installers in the UK whom we supply with our turf and we can supply contact details if required.
Q: If we use synthetic turf for a soccer pitch, is it more difficult to play on and can we use normal football boots?
A: The new generation of artificial carpeting gives the same ball to surface, ball to player and player to surface behaviour as natural turf and, yes, normal football boots can be used on all sand-rubber infilled soccer pitches. On other synthetic turf surfaces the recommended footwear is trainers.
Q: What about surface water collecting on synthetic turf?
A: Our turf products are water permeable so surface water drains through.
Q: What's 'infill' and 'sand infill'?
A: Infill is where the artificial turf is inserted with sand or a mixture of rubber and sand to help stabilize it for better performance. Sand infill refers to a specialist sand used in the same way and for the same reason.
Q: What is a 'Shock Pad'?
A: This is sometimes required under a synthetic sports pitch such as for playing hockey but whether you will need one depends upon the anticipated use and application of the pitch.
Q: What are the general advantages of synthetic turf for sports surfaces?
A: There are many – read our dedicated page: Advantages of Synthetic Turf For Sport
Q: What are the advantages for home use such as for an artificial lawn?
A: Again, there are many – from cost and effort-saving factors to the benefits it can bring to the environment. Read our dedicated page: Advantages of Using Synthetic Turf For Leisure